- Polysilicon News
After polysilicon plant shutdown, OCI narrows its operating loss
South Korean chemicals group OCI has seen the first effects of closing its polysilicon factory in Gunsan in February. Excluding restructuring costs of KRW70 billion (US$57.3 million), the company’s Basic Chemical division, which features polysilicon as main product, reduced its operating loss from KRW57 billion (US$46.7 million) in the fourth quarter of 2019 by 61% to KRW22 billion (US$18 million) in the first quarter of 2020.
The factory in Gunsan had a production capacity of 52,000 metric tons (MT). Its P1 plant (6,500 MT) will reopen as scheduled in May to produce electronic-grade polysilicon as OCI does not see demand for semiconductors impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic.
After ramping up to a capacity of 27,000 MT, the company’s solar-grade polysilicon plant in Malaysia reduced its manufacturing costs by 33% in 2019. It is targeting a further cost reduction by 16% in 2020.
According to OCI, the plant is currently running with minimal staff, but there is “no disruption in plant operation and sales.” The company added: “When demand decreases due to the global spread of Covid-19, OCI will adjust the plant utilization rate and production volume.”
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment