- Polysilicon News
China’s polysilicon imports drop in December, ahead of spot price
After a short recovery in November, polysilicon imports into China fell back to 12,534 metric tons (MT) in December, a decrease of 16.0% month over month.
Most of the decline was due to lower imports from South Korea, which slumped from 7,149 MT in November to 5,188 MT – probably in the wake of maintenance overhauls.
Total annual polysilicon imports into China rose from 140,256 MT in 2016 by 13.3% to 158,918 MT in 2017.
The lower import volume in December confirms the current trend of seasonally low demand, which is now also reflected in a sinking polysilicon spot price as we predicted in December.
The extent of the price decline is still somewhat veiled by the strengthening Chinese Yuan. It is also slowed down by Longi and Zhonghuan Semiconductor who continue to build up large polysilicon inventories for the expansion of their monocrystalline wafer capacities.
Nevertheless, the price erosion now begins to accelerate.
- South Korea
- spot price
- Zhonghuan Semiconductor
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment