- Polysilicon News
Covid-19 impact hits polysilicon manufacturers Wacker and OCI
Strongly reduced demand for solar-grade polysilicon due to the Covid-19 pandemic and lower prices have left their mark in the financial figures of Wacker and OCI for the second quarter.
Wacker’s polysilicon division recorded sales of €152.5 million (US$179.8 million), a decline of 17.3% from the first quarter. The EBITDA margin deteriorated from -7.4% in the prior quarter to -23.0%.
Compared to Wacker, South Korean competitor OCI has fared somewhat better. After the closure of its solar-grade polysilicon operations in Gunsan in February, OCI’s basic chemicals division achieved an EBITDA margin of -14.9% in the second quarter, down from -2.8% (excluding special effects from the plant closure) in the first quarter. As scheduled, the company resumed production of electronic-grade polysilicon in Gunsan in May.
Prospects for the third quarter look brighter as the polysilicon spot price has sharply rebounded since explosions led to the temporary shutdown of GCL’s polysilicon plant in Xinjiang on July 20.
While OCI’s solar-grade polysilicon plant in Malaysia returned to full production in mid-July after two months of maintenance works, Wacker is still closely watching the market before increasing the utilization rate of its German polysilicon plants from the current 70%. “We are very careful there,” CEO Rudolf Staudigl said in a conference call with analysts on July 30.
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment