- Polysilicon News
Daqo’s wafer biz exit shows: multicrystalline silicon is in trouble
Chinese polysilicon manufacturer Daqo New Energy has announced that it will abandon its multicrystalline wafer manufacturing unit in Chongqing still in September.
The company said it made the decision in order to adapt to the “increasingly challenging market conditions for multi-crystalline wafers.”
Although Daqo’s annual wafer production capacity is only about 500 MW, the shutdown appears as a sign of bigger things to come: According to the latest forecast from PV Tech Research, the market share of multicrystalline wafers will fall drastically from 67% in 2017 to 20% in 2020 and 5% in 2022. It would be one of the most dramatic technology changes in the PV industry.
PV tech argues that the cost reduction achieved by pioneer Longi in monocrystalline ingot and wafer production through scaling up to the multi-gigawatt capacity level is now becoming visible in the market as leading solar cell and module makers accelerate the adoption of monocrystalline products. Indeed, suppliers such as JA Solar are already targeting a mono share of 50% in their 2018 shipments.
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment