- Polysilicon News
Do Chinese associations overstate domestic polysilicon output?
The 2019 results of the four largest China-based polysilicon manufacturers – Tongwei, GCL-Poly, Daqo and Xinte – have partly revealed enormous discrepancies with the numbers published by Chinese industry bodies.
According to the China Photovoltaic Industry Association (CPIA), domestic polysilicon production amounted to 342,000 metric tons (MT) in 2019; the monthly figures from the Silicon Branch of the China Non-ferrous Metals Industry Association (CNMIA) add up to almost 344,000 MT. However, CNMIA’s numbers for GCL-Poly and Xinte deviate substantially from the production volumes revealed by the public companies themselves in their annual results announcements.
While GCL-Poly has published a 2019 output of 57,394 MT, CNMIA arrives at nearly 77,500 MT. For Xinte Energy, CNMIA’s number overshoots the company’s result by almost 15,000 MT (see columns with red frames in the chart above). In total, CNMIA’s deviation for all four top companies amounts to more than 35,500 MT.
Bernreuter Research does not see a reason why GCL and Xinte would downplay their production volumes. Therefore, China’s actual polysilicon output in 2019 was likely between 306,000 and 308,000 MT, which also fits better to the global supply-demand balance.
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment