- Polysilicon News
Faulty piston caused explosion at Wacker’s U.S. polysilicon plant
The Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA) has released its findings on the hydrogen explosion that occurred at Wacker’s U.S. polysilicon plant on September 7, 2017.
According to the TOSHA report, the 20-inch head piston of a hydrogen compressor had been replaced with a 24-inch piston in a revamp. “The new piston failed during operation resulting in the head of the compressor being blown off and a deflagration of the escaping hydrogen resulted in extensive damage to the building.”
Wacker has commented: “To restart the plant, we will be returning to our original compressor design that has operated safely for decades at Wacker sites and many other global companies.”
TOSHA charges the company with $25,400 in fines for seven violations of rules and another $20,000 for two more violations.
Wacker is planning to restart the plant this spring.
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment