- Polysilicon News
Ferroglobe to build plant for upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon
Ferroglobe, the company arisen from the merger of Grupo FerroAtlántica and Globe Specialty Metals, has announced that it will build a production facility for upgraded metallurgical-grade (UMG) silicon to supply the solar industry with an initial annual capacity of 1,400 metric tons (MT) in Puertollano in the Spanish province of Ciudad Real.
At its investor day on October 17, Ferroglobe said that the investment costs would amount to €75 million and completion of construction was scheduled for the second half of 2018.
A year earlier, in September 2016, Grupo Villar Mir, the majority shareholder of Ferroglobe, had announced a different plan: The UMG silicon plant should have a production capacity of 3,000 MT and be built on the premises of Ferroglobe’s R&D subsidiary Silicio FerroSolar in Sabon (A Coruña) in northern Spain, where the company’s UMG technology has been developed since 2006.
So far, only Norway-based Elkem Solar has been able to establish itself as a viable UMG silicon supplier for the solar industry.
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment