- Polysilicon News
Ferrosolar to open UMG silicon plant, claims 18.5% cell efficiency
Ferroglobe, one of the world’s leading producers of silicon metal and silicon-based alloys, has announced that its subsidiary Ferrosolar is currently building a factory for upgraded metallurgical-grade (UMG) silicon in Puertollano in Spain.
In a press release, the company has confirmed earlier plans that the new factory will be operational by the end of 2018. However, Ferroglobe does not mention the annual capacity of 1,400 metric tons it announced in October 2017, but only talks of “industrial scale” now.
In cooperation with a member of the Silicon Module Super League (the seven largest module suppliers), Ferroglobe has tested 500 kW of multicrystalline wafers using 100% unblended UMG silicon from Ferrosolar. According to the company, the sample consistently delivered cell efficiencies of 18.5% and yield ratios of 98%.
A further test of PERC cells using black-silicon texture is planned with another Super League member. The most likely candidates are Hanwha Q-Cells and Canadian Solar, which both have experience with UMG silicon.
Update on August 21:
In its Q2 2018 results presentation on August 21, Ferroglobe confirmed the plant’s annual capacity of 1,400 MT and added: “Off-take agreements currently being negotiated with multiple wafer producers.”
- cell efficiency
- production capacity
- upgraded metallurgical grade
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment