- Polysilicon News
More job cuts at U.S. polysilicon maker Hemlock Semiconductor
U.S.-based polysilicon manufacturer Hemlock Semiconductor Corporation (HSC) will lay off 50 employees, the company announced internally on June 18.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the concentration of critical supply chains in China and worsened the market-distorting effects of overcapacity created by their subsidies,” said Brooke L. Beebe, vice president of external affairs at Hemlock.
“While China committed to purchasing U.S. polysilicon in the Phase I U.S.-China trade deal announced in January, it has not yet followed through on its promise, again keeping out U.S.-made polysilicon. HSC’s workforce reduction is a direct result of these circumstances,” she commented.
In the first quarter of 2018, Hemlock already cut 100 jobs, citing international trade disputes and new competition. According to the economic development group Saginaw Future, the company still has 660 employees.
The new round of job cuts may also have to do with the expiry of almost half of Hemlock’s polysilicon long-term supply contracts in 2020.
- Hemlock Semiconductor
- solar grade
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment