- Polysilicon News
Korean polysilicon producer Hankook Silicon close to bankruptcy
On June 10, a court in Seoul decided to terminate the rehabilitation proceedings for Hankook Silicon after two attempts to sell the Korean polysilicon manufacturer failed and the company did not file a restructuring proposal by the end of May. According to the Korean website hankyung.com, the company will loose the protective shield of court administration within two weeks if it does not appeal against the decision.
Hankook filed for rehabilitation proceedings – a procedure similar to Chapter11 in the U.S. – in May 2018. It was the second time after it applied for court receivership in November 2012.
In view of cash production costs of $12.50/kg and a spot price below $10/kg, the manufacturer has produced red figures with every kilogram of polysilicon. In 2018 Hankook recorded a net loss of KRW74.3 billion (US$67.5 million). According to hankyung.com, the company piled up a total debt of KRW509.9 billion (US$434 million) by the end of March 2019.
An investment banker told hankyung.com: “It is difficult to avoid bankruptcy, auction and liquidation as the two attempts to sell off [the assets] during the rehabilitation process were not successful.”
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment