- Polysilicon News
Kyocera reaches settlement on polysilicon contract with Hemlock
Japanese solar module producer Kyocera has reached a settlement in its contract dispute with U.S.-based polysilicon manufacturer Hemlock Semiconductor.
Between 2005 and 2008, Kyocera closed four long-term purchase agreements (LTAs) with Hemlock Semiconductor for the delivery of solar-grade polysilicon running through December 31, 2020. The fixed contract price has been significantly higher than the market price since about 2011.
As of September 30, 2018, Kyocera still had to purchase polysilicon material worth 119.933 billion yen (US$1.057 billion), of which 33.532 billion yen ($295.6 million) were already prepaid.
According to the settlement reached on November 28, Kyocera will relinquish the advance payments already made to Hemlock, will return the polysilicon material Kyocera owns and pay a settlement amount. As a result, Kyocera will account a loss of approx. 51.1 billion yen ($450.4 million).
“Following this settlement, the significant divergence between the market price of polysilicon material and the fixed contract price in the LTAs will be resolved. Kyocera does not plan to account additional loss based on the LTAs,” the company commented.
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment