- Polysilicon News
New incident at Wacker’s U.S. polysilicon plant: workers injured
The series of incidents at Wacker’s U.S. polysilicon plant in Charleston, Tennessee does not stop: Four contract workers suffered chemical burns when they performed maintenance work on non-operating equipment in a process building on July 24.
According to reports by the local newspapers Chattanooga Times Free Press and Cleveland Daily Banner, three workers were taken to a hospital by ambulance and one was airlifted. All four were treated for chemical burns and potential inhalation of toxic substances.
“There was no impact to the environment or surrounding community,” said Lisa Mantooth, Wacker’s public information officer, but did not provide further details about what led to the injuries.
The incident is the latest in a series that has happened since the plant started up in early 2016:
- Oct. 3, 2016: A faulty gasket at one of the distillation columns is discovered; no chemical spill occurs.
- Aug. 30, 2017: A release of chlorosilanes causes burns to five workers.
- Sep. 7, 2017: Chlorosilanes escape from two leaks after a faulty piston has caused the explosion of a hydrogen compressor; 13 people are treated at hospitals.
- May 4, 2019: A fire is discovered on the 4th Floor of the factory’s waste water treatment building; it has been distinguished nine hours later.
The Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA) has already charged Wacker with $45,400 in fines for nine violations of rules. TOSHA is expected to investigate the latest incident.
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment