- Polysilicon News
OCI considers shifting polysilicon capacity from Korea to Malaysia
The prospect of rising electricity prices has prompted polysilicon manufacturer OCI to consider shifting production capacity from its South Korean plant in Gunsan (current capacity: 52,000 metric tons) to its subsidiary in Malaysia (27,000 metric tons), The Korea Times reports.
Raising the industrial electricity rates was one of the election pledges of President Moon Jae-in, who came into office in May 2017 after the impeachment of Park Geun-hye. “The government is moving to increase the cost again,” OCI Vice Chairman Lee Woo-hyun told reporters after the general meeting of shareholders on March 26. “It is necessary to consider moving to Malaysia after shutting down factories in Korea.”
Lee added: “The Malaysian government provides factory sites for free, and the country’s electricity costs are one third cheaper than those in Korea.”
OCI’s considerations resemble recent complaints of polysilicon manufacturer Wacker about rising electricity prices in Germany. Both companies are under pressure from Chinese competitors, which benefit from very low, subsidized electricity rates, in particular in China’s western provinces.
- electricity rate
- production capacity
- South Korea
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment