- Polysilicon News
OCI considers shifting polysilicon capacity to semiconductor use
Like its German peer Wacker, South Korean chemicals group OCI has taken a hit from the slump of demand for solar-grade polysilicon in recent months. The EBITDA margin of OCI’s basic chemicals division, which includes polysilicon, tumbled to minus 2.0% in the third quarter of 2018, down from 19.4% in the previous quarter and 18.8% in the prior year period.
In view of the weak demand, OCI brought forward the annual maintenance at its Korean polysilicon plant from November to July. The debottlenecking project at the PS2 facility of its Malaysian plant was completed in the third quarter, increasing the production capacity from 13,800 metric tons (MT) to 17,000 MT.
OCI announced it would adjust the utilization rate of its polysilicon plants to the market situation in the fourth quarter. However, revamping of the PS1 facility in Malaysia with a capacity of 10,000 MT would be completed by the end of Q1 2019 as planned.
As the electricity rate in Korea is higher than that in Malaysia, OCI mulls shifting part of its Korean polysilicon capacity to semiconductor applications. “If the [polysilicon] price stays below our cash cost, we have to think about all options,” CEO WooHyun Lee said.
- electronic grade
- production capacity
- solar grade
- South Korea
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment