- Polysilicon News
OCI hurt by low prices, enters semiconductor polysilicon business
Although South Korean chemicals group OCI benefited from high demand for monocrystalline-grade polysilicon and increased its polysilicon sales volume by 24% in the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2018, its basic chemical division, which includes polysilicon, was in red territory for the second quarter in a row.
The division recorded an EBITDA margin of minus 2.7%, after minus 2.0% in Q3 2018. Main contributors were the decline of the polysilicon price by 12% quarter over quarter, lower sales volume of other basic chemicals due to a downturn in the semiconductor industry, and an inventory valuation loss of KRW8.4 billion (US$7.5 million).
Because of a small gas leakage in November, OCI had to shut down its P3.7 polysilicon plant until late January and lost 6% of polysilicon output in Q4. Regular maintenance will reduce the utilization rate to between 85% and 90% in Q1 2019. The capacity expansion of OCI’s polysilicon plant in Malaysia by 10,000 metric tons (MT) is scheduled to be completed by the end of Q1.
The company announced that it will enter the higher-margin polysilicon business for semiconductors. It is targeting an annual output of 4,000 to 5,000 MT in this segment.
- electronic grade
- production capacity
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment