- Polysilicon News
OCI to expand Malaysian polysilicon plant capacity by 10,000 tons
Korean polysilicon producer OCI will revamp the dormant PS-1 plant of its Malaysian subsidiary by the end of 2018, thus expanding its annual production capacity by 10,000 metric tons (MT).
At the presentation of OCI’s first quarter results on April 24, President and CEO WooHyun Lee said the company’s total polysilicon capacity should have a minimum of 80,000 MT by the end of 2018. “Hopefully, we can reach 100,000 [tons] – capacity – by 2020,” Lee added.
OCI is currently debottlenecking its PS-2 facility in Malaysia to expand the capacity from 13,800 MT to 17,000 MT by the third quarter of 2018. Along with the revamped PS-1, the plant is slated to reach a capacity of 27,000 MT.
PS-1 was originally designed by its former Japanese owner Tokuyama Corporation to produce electronic-grade polysilicon for the semiconductor industry at a capacity of 6,200 MT. After the facility did not reach the specifications for electronic grade, however, it was mothballed.
OCI’s Malaysian plant is now focusing on cost-competitive polysilicon for monocrystalline and high-performance multicrystalline solar wafers while the Korean plant is producing high-quality polysilicon for mono and semiconductor wafers.
- electronic grade
- production capacity
- solar grade
- South Korea
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment