- Polysilicon News
Polysilicon manufacturer Daqo on the way to cash costs of $5/kg
China-based polysilicon producer Daqo New Energy has harvested the first fruits of its major capacity expansion. In the fourth quarter of 2019, the company reached record-low manufacturing costs (including depreciation) of $6.38/kg and cash production costs of $5.47/kg, down from $6.97/kg and $5.85/kg, respectively, in the previous quarter.
For the first quarter of 2020, Daqo is targeting manufacturing costs of $6.10/kg. Correspondingly, cash costs will probably fall to about $5.30/kg.
The company doubled its nominal production capacity from 35,000 metric tons (MT) to 70,000 MT in the fourth quarter of 2019. Its effective capacity, however, is closer to 80,000 MT now.
The new economies of scale also boosted Daqo’s EBITDA margin from 23.5% to 38.2% quarter over quarter. Even if one eliminates cash incentives by the local government, the margin still amounts to 33.8% (see chart above).
With the capacity expansion, Daqo’s electricity rate has dropped to approx. 2.5 $Cents/kWh, giving the company a significant edge over non-Chinese competitors. The Korean manufacturers OCI and Hanwha have already shut down plants under this cost pressure.
- electricity rate
- production capacity
- REC Silicon
- South Korea
- Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment