- Polysilicon News
Price pressure: Wacker impairs polysilicon assets by €750 million
The sustained streak of record-low polysilicon prices is leaving its trace in the industry: Leading German polysilicon manufacturer Wacker has announced it will take a massive impairment of €750 million (US$832 million) on the carrying value of its polysilicon plants in its 2019 financial statements.
The write-down amounts to the 2.4-fold value of Wacker Polysilicon’s annual depreciation rate. Beside the lower than expected PV demand in China, Wacker blames the price decay on overcapacity from the expansion of Chinese polysilicon manufacturers, fostered by government incentives, such as extremely low electricity rates.
For instance, China-based polysilicon manufacturer Daqo New Energy enjoys a power tariff of only US$0.03 per kWh in Xinjiang whereas the price for large industrial customers on the German electricity market is approximately twice as high.
Capital expenditures (capex) for Chinese polysilicon plants are also significantly lower compared to the western world. Daqo’s regular depreciation rate in $/kg is only 30% of Wacker Polysilicon’s amount (see chart).
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment