- Polysilicon News
REC Silicon mulls selling its cash cow, the Butte polysilicon plant
REC Silicon has announced considerations to sell its second plant, located in Butte in the U.S. state of Montana, which produces silane and electronic-grade polysilicon for the semiconductor industry.
The company’s fluidized bed reactor plant for granular solar-grade polysilicon in Moses Lake, Washington was already mothballed in July. The announcement regarding Butte is obviously a reaction to an analyst report from Sparebank 1 Markets released on October 2, which paints a gloomy outlook for REC Silicon.
Back in May, the company still proclaimed it would continue to operate the profitable Butte facility with an annual EBITDA contribution of approx. $50 million. However, the trade conflict between the U.S. and China has also clouded the semiconductor sector. REC Silicon’s silane gas sales in the third quarter were below guidance; electronic-grade polysilicon shipments dropped significantly.
In an interview with Greentech Media, REC Silicon’s chief financial officer James A. May has confirmed that “recent occurrences with the semiconductor market” are the reason why “we don’t have the necessary liquidity to meet all of our obligations.”
If Butte is sold, REC Silicon will only be left with a 15% stake in its Chinese FBR joint venture and the distant prospect of restarting Moses Lake to supply silane for battery anodes.
- battery anode
- electronic grade
- fluidized bed reactor
- REC Silicon
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment