- Polysilicon News
The EBITDA difference of making polysilicon in or outside China
While China-based polysilicon manufacturer Daqo New Energy reported another record low in production costs, the polysilicon division of market leader Wacker slid into the red with its EBITDA in the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2018.
Daqo recorded cash costs of only US$6.64/kg for its polysilicon plant in Xinjiang; manufacturing costs including depreciation were US$7.94/kg. The company achieved a whopping EBITDA margin of 39.1% in Q4.
In contrast, Wacker Polysilicon’s EBITDA margin continued its dive from +16.2% in Q2 to +2.5% in Q3 to -10.2% in Q4 (see chart) because its German factories still ran at full capacity and its U.S. plant reached 100% utilization in December to build up inventories while sales were weak.
Daqo’s EBITDA margin in Q4 would be 22.5% if it were not skewed by $12.5 million of other operating income, which mainly consists of cash incentives by the local government. However, the company’s “normal” EBITDA margin still exceeds those of non-Chinese competitors by 20 to 25 percentage points. This is mainly due to very low, subsidized electricity rates in Xinjiang.
- REC Silicon
- South Korea
- Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment