- Polysilicon News
Tongwei poised to become the world’s largest polysilicon maker
China-based polysilicon and solar cell manufacturer Tongwei is taking the first steps to implement its ambitious plan of reaching a high-purity polysilicon capacity of 220,000 to 290,000 metric tons (MT) by the end of 2023.
The company has announced that it will expand the 50,000 MT plant of its subsidiary Sichuan Yongxiang in Leshan, Sichuan province by a capacity of 35,000 MT and will build a new 40,000 MT plant in Baoshan, Yunnan province.
Construction on both projects is slated to be completed in September and November 2021, respectively. Along with its existing 30,000 MT plant in Baotou, Inner Mongolia province, Tongwei will then reach a total capacity of 155,000 MT, thus becoming the world’s largest polysilicon manufacturer.
Other top five producers in China will probably follow suit. Daqo has said it will make a decision on its Phase 4B project in the second half of 2020. That expansion would bring Daqo’s capacity to approx. 120,000 MT.
According to a Chinese media report, 80% of the material from Tongwei’s new capacity in Leshan will meet the requirements for n-type monocrystalline wafers.
The company’s new site in Yunnan is in line with the plan of its production partner Longi to increase its monocrystalline wafer capacity in the same province by 20 GW.
- Inner Mongolia
- production capacity
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment