- Polysilicon News
Wacker believes in polysilicon business despite likely loss in 2020
Although expecting a further loss for its polysilicon division in 2020 on par with the operating EBITDA loss of €55.6 million in 2019, management of German chemicals group Wacker has expressed confidence in the polysilicon business. At the presentation of the company’s 2019 results on March 17, CEO Rudolf Staudigl said: “We remain firmly confident that this business has a very good future.”
Staudigl builds his optimism on a strongly expanding PV market, the rising share of monocrystalline solar modules, which require high-quality polysilicon, and Wacker’s measures to reduce its polysilicon cash costs by more than 30% between 2017 and 2021.
In addition, Wacker has launched a company-wide program to achieve annual cost savings of €250 million by the end of 2022. Around 1,000 of the company’s 14,658 jobs (as of the end of 2019) will be cut, mainly in non-operational areas.
Citing electricity rates of less than 2 €Ct (2.2 $Ct) per kWh for competitors in China, however, Staudigl called for an industrial rate below 4 €Ct/kWh in Germany; currently, it is far above 5 €Ct/kWh.
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment