- Polysilicon News
Wacker’s chronic problem with contractors leads to one fatality
Friday the 13th was not a good day for five contract workers at Wacker’s U.S. polysilicon plant in Charleston, Tennessee: They were injured when a mixture of steam and hydrochloric acid escaped during a maintenance operation and had to be taken to hospitals; one worker did not survive his injuries.
The accident happened on November 13 at 10:04 am. It is only cold comfort that the chemical release was quickly contained and did not impact the surrounding area.
The fatality is the sad culmination of a series of incidents that have occurred since the plant started up in early 2016:
- July 24, 2020: Four contract workers suffer chemical burns during maintenance work on non-operating equipment in a process building.
- May 4, 2019: A fire is discovered on the 4th Floor of the factory’s waste water treatment building; it has been distinguished nine hours later.
- Sep. 7, 2017: Chlorosilanes escape from two leaks after a faulty piston has caused the explosion of a hydrogen compressor; 13 people are treated at hospitals.
- Aug. 30, 2017: A release of chlorosilanes causes burns to five workers.
- Oct. 3, 2016: A faulty gasket at one of the distillation columns is discovered; no chemical spill occurs.
As the latest accident is not the first one that has hit contract workers during maintenance, it raises the question why Wacker’s factory management engages people for tasks they have obviously not been trained for well enough. The fatality cries out for a revision of the company’s maintenance policy in Charleston.
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment