- Polysilicon News
Wacker starts short-time work at its German polysilicon plants
After running its German polysilicon plants at full steam for years, chemicals group Wacker has reduced the utilization rate to 70%. In response to slumping demand for solar-grade polysilicon in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, the company’s polysilicon division will work short-time starting on May 1, Wacker announced at the release of its first-quarter results on April 30.
Wacker’s U.S. polysilicon plant in Charleston, Tennessee, which produces electronic-grade polysilicon for the semiconductor industry, remains unaffected by the measure as the company sees continued strong demand for semiconductors.
The impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on demand for solar-grade polysilicon, however, became already visible in the first quarter. Revenues of the polysilicon division declined from €192.6 million (US$209.1 million) in the previous quarter by 4.7% to €184.3 million ($200.1 million), due to both weaker volumes and lower prices.
Although the division made progress in cost reduction, the result was compensated by inventory evaluation effects. Thus, the EBITDA margin fell from 1.0% in the prior quarter to -7.4%.
Get more information ...
- on the background and ranking of the world’s top ten producers: polysilicon manufacturers
- on the Siemens process, FBR technology and UMG silicon: polysilicon production processes
- on the application of polysilicon in semiconductors and solar cells: polysilicon uses
- on the size, shares and trends of the market and China’s role: polysilicon market analysis
- on the current polysilicon spot price, charts, price forecast and history: polysilicon price trend
Gain in-depth insight – with the Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024
Learn all about the polysilicon market
Add a comment