The lion’s share has shifted from semiconductor to solar
The smartphone, notebook or desktop computer you are using right now needs it; the car you drive needs it; and over 90% of all solar panels producing electricity from the sun need it, too: Polysilicon, the purified variant of the grey silicon metal made of quartz, is indispensable for semiconductor devices and solar cells alike. The lion’s share of the demand for it has shifted from the semiconductor to the solar industry.
Shares of the semiconductor and solar industries in polysilicon demand in 1995 and 2014
In total, polysilicon demand increased from just 15,100 metric tons (MT) in 1995 to approx. 278,000 MT in 2014.
While demand from the semiconductor sector roughly doubled from 13,600 MT to approx. 28,000 MT during those twenty years, demand from the PV industry skyrocketed from just 1,500 MT in 1995 to approx. 250,000 MT in 2014 – an increase by a factor of 167! That means: Demand from the solar industry doubled on average every 2.7 years. In 2018 it reached around 420,000 MT (polysilicon market analysis).
Published on June 29, 2020 © Bernreuter Research
About the author
Johannes Bernreuter is head of the polysilicon market research specialist Bernreuter Research. Before founding the company in 2008, Bernreuter became one of the most reputable photovoltaic journalists in Germany because of his diligent research, clear style and unbiased approach. He has earned several awards, among others the prestigious RWTH Prize for Scientific Journalism from the RWTH Aachen University, one of the eleven elite universities in Germany.
Originally an associate editor at the monthly photovoltaic magazine Photon, Bernreuter authored his first analysis of the upcoming polysilicon bottleneck and alternative production processes as early as 2001 (Publication List). After preparing two global polysilicon market surveys for Sun & Wind Energy magazine in 2005 and 2006, he founded Bernreuter Research to publish in-depth polysilicon industry reports.
Get Your In-depth Report: The Polysilicon Market Outlook 2024
- Benefit from 76 pages full of rich data, in-depth analyses and detailed forecasts on the polysilicon, solar and semiconductor industries
- Learn all about the latest developments of polysilicon manufacturing technologies (Siemens process, fluidized bed reactor, upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon)
- Obtain comprehensive data on production volumes and capacities of 42 solar-grade and electronic-grade polysilicon plants from 2016 through 2024
- Gain insight into decisive market trends, based on four sophisticated scenarios of supply and demand through 2024
- Get valuable guidance with cash cost data on 25 solar-grade polysilicon plants and spot price forecasts through 2024